[MPlayer-users] asx ==> mp3?

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Wed Jul 3 18:44:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 12:07, Gregory M. Amerson wrote:
> Is there a way to record (encode) an asx stream?  The asx stream is actually
> multiple wma streams but when I try use mencoder I get an error stating...
>
> ============= Sorry, this file format not recognized/supported ===============
> === If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the author! ===
> Cannot open demuxer
> Exiting...

i'm not sure i understand what you want...
if you want to create an 'asx' file ..asx is a text file... so you
probably want to create the wmv and/or asf files... it's not possible
with mencoder ( only avi output).

if you want to save the from-internet-streamed asx to your hardix, you
can try mplayer -dumpstream

> Is recording an asx to an mp3 file possible?  If so could someone show
> the correct syntax in case I am messing that up some way.  Thanks!

try mplayer -vo pcm -aofile outfile.wav myfile.asf... this will create a
wav file, and you can create the mp3 file from that file with an mp3
encoder ( for example mp3 lame).

bye,
gabor