[MPlayer-users] NVidia will be bannished

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Tue Jan 29 21:09:02 CET 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 11:32:40AM -0700, Jan Sacharuk wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 03:34:57PM -0500, Alan Wilter Sousa da Silva wrote:
>
> @>> Why would you blindly follow a dogma to the exclusion of all other
> @>> things? Why wouldn't you use the absolute best system that you could?
> @>> Do you feel that using something like FreeBSD is beneath you because
> @>> it uses the BSD license instead of the GPL?
> @>
> @>	Hey, I'm not imposing exclusivity.  We try here to use the best
> @>available we can and money counts a lot and access to source code too.
>
> Well, that was a sort of testing question. I find that people that
> really believe in the GPL find the BSD licence abhorrent. Since the
> BSD licence is REALLY free (anyone can take your code and use it for
> any purpose, without revealing the source...) it tends to grate on
> people that fully push the GPL.

Hmmm, I think this is the dark side of BSD license. I want to see that
my code is NOT stolen ie. it's only used in programs which can be accessed
in source code form as well. This is the base to create a free world, where
you can "borrow" code from other projects and you put code into the public
as well (you can't just "steal" the code into a closed source project).
OK, maybe you find me a strange guy, but I call THIS the real freedom.
I've not found better license than GPL.

> Not at all. I want my rights as a programmer protected, and I'm not
> charging for it. Frankly, these days, I'd be more likely to publish
> under the BSD licence. That aside, I don't believe that software MUST
> be free. I don't think that software is inherently free. I work for a
> software company that makes its money by keeping its secrets close,
> and actually requires people to pay for their product.

Yes, and we want to create a movie player which is free (source code
available) and of course free of charge. MPlayer is not closed source
project, and we (well at least me :) don't want to have secrects about
our project. I always wanted to create free alternatives if I find only
a closed source solution for a problem.

> work, there's no reason to not use a closed solution for your video
> card. And for once, linux users are actually getting what they paid
> for! When you buy a card for Windows, they include the drivers. It's
> part of the cost packaged into the product. Well, nvidia is finally
> providing that part that we paid for! It's pretty nice, really.

Ok, then nvidia should sell its card for lower price for people who don't
want to use their drivers ;-)

- Gábor