[MPlayer-users] Strange behaviour when seeking in mpeg2 files

Markus A. Greiner mailings at greiners.net
Sun Jan 20 23:28:02 CET 2002

Hi,

> > Using an MPEG1 or DIVX encoded video doesn't show this big timeshifts.
> > Seeking in AVI Files jumps to the declared time. In MPEG1 there is a
> > difference about 15-30 seconds.
>
> What bit rate does your mpeg2 file claim to have, what does it really
> have?

I don't know what the real bitrate is. I used a predefined "profile"
to encode the DVDs. But I checked what MPlayer says about the bitrates:

original DVD:
MPEG2  720x576  (aspect 3)  25.00 fps  9375.0 kbps (1171.9 kbyte/s)

now the compressed File:
MPEG2  352x288  (aspect 3)  25.00 fps 12250.0 kbps (1531.2 kbyte/s)

If MPlayer uses this value for seeking it's all clear.

I think A'rpi is definitively right. It's an encoder issue!

Greetings,
Markus