[MPlayer-users] Problem playing .rm files

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Jan 14 18:00:02 CET 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 11:20:29AM -0500, Geoffrey Trexler wrote:
> I'm going to assume your using Slackware of some form...By default
> Slackware doesn't have /dev/dsp set so that non-root users can use it. To
> achieve this become su and do chmod ugo+rwx /dev/dsp this will give read
> write and exec access to all users allowing them to start the sound
> device. You may also want to do this to /dev/audio and /dev/mixer as well.

Please no! MPlayer is NOT a Linux install fixer! Maybe someone WANT to have
THIS behaviour. For example on my system every audio devices are owned
by root:audio with mode 660, and I can easily add people into group audio,
if I want to allow them to use audio things. And MANY other setups exist,
so imho it's a VERY bad idea to mess it up. Tomorrow you will ask MPlayer
to compile a new kernel for you ;-) /dev/dsp is a GLOBAL OS thing and it's
not only used by MPlayer (of course) so it's not the task of MPlayer to set
it up. Imho.

- Gábor