[MPlayer-users] Re: Sound and screensaver problems

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Mon Jan 14 00:31:02 CET 2002

Gábor Lénárt <lgb at lgb.hu> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 07:59:53PM +0100, Sven Hartge wrote:

>> If nothing else uses it, it will detach from /dev/dsp after 60
>> seconds (default). This should be the time, mplayer starts playing.

> Right, so you should kill it, or use an ao which supports playing
> through artsd (maybe SDL can do this?).

I don't want, because with a sound daemon, A and V get out of sync.

>> I always killed artsd before using mplayer, but now with Gnome, I don't
>> use any sound daemon at all.

> Are you sure? esd? try to find a running process named 'esd' or similar.
> Or use an ao driver which supports playing through esd.

Nah, I don't use any sound daemon, because I don't use any sound events.
And it intruduces a latency in the sound "path" the length of its
buffer.

Of course now, I can have only one sound source, but this is either xmms
or mplayer, never both at the same time, so no problem here.

S°

--
75 Things you don't want to hear from your Sys Admin.
59. Well, I've got a backup, but the only copy of the restore program