[MPlayer-users] about codecs.conf

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sat Jan 12 20:24:01 CET 2002

On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 19:32:09 +0100 (CET)
"Hala'szi Ga'bor" <kukocs at programozo.hu> wrote:

> I didn't understand this codecs.conf-stuff at all, the codecs.conf file
> belongs to the codecs installed in /usr/..., isn't it????

No, codecs.conf belongs to mplayer. mplayer has some build in
codecs (mpeg and the whole libavcodec family). codecs.conf changes
quite often while w32codec*.(zip|bz2) does not (see cvs log).
If you upgrade mplayer you also have to upgrade codecs.conf as
also the format of it can change. eg mplayer 0.50 segfaults
with the codecs.conf of 0.60, though both work fine with the
same windows dlls (either of 0.50 or 060)

> So when I recompile(or compile a newer) mplayer, I don't need to change
> my codecs.conf file at all(there should be no changes)
> I need to change my codecs.conf file, when I upgrade my codecsfiles,
> isn't it???

See above

> something else:
> i'm using -vo sdl output. and there is a feature with 'n' to make my
> move full screen visible (without blank lines on top,and bottom), but
> without changing the aspect ratio!(there are non visible sides)
> The problem is that the visible is the left side of the movie, not the
> middle of it. it would be COOL to change the visible place, or just
> order it in the middle of my screen!

Ask sdl developers, that's something mplayer doesnt have
under it's control.

		Attila Kinali

--
I am a moslem, i am a terrorist.