[MPlayer-users] Re: Why is the color wrong when I run -tv option

Sven Hartge hartge at ds9.argh.org
Wed Jan 2 17:41:01 CET 2002

SMuelas <smuelas at mecanica.upm.es> wrote:

> You say in your "man" page for mencoder that to encode a series of vob's
> files, one can do:  cat *.vob | mencoder -options
> With my very poor knowledge, I am not able to arrive at anything trough
> that. Why? where? what? ...etc. must I do to encode several vobs
> obtaining just only one AVI? Or, can I paste together several AVIS to
> obtain just one?

VOBs are just MPEG2-Streams. MPEG-Streams can be concatenated as you
wish. The magic lies in the word "stream". Every information you need to
play an MPEG-stream is included in every header of the stream (every I
frame, if I am correct), so any player can connect to a MPEG-Stream and
start showing it.

AVIs are a different format, which *cannot* be concatenated easily, you
need a tool like avimerge or avisplit (from transcode, for example).

AVIs are not streamable, at least not without some very dirty magic or a
format like M$ ASF (Advanced Streaming Format).

I would guess, M$ created their MS-MPEG4, from which DivX was "derived",
so that it cannot be streamed, so to not produce an opponent to their
own ASF. (But this is only a wild guess.)

S°

--
BOFH excuse #160:

non-redundant fan failure