[MPlayer-users] Is G400's vsync capability better than Radeon's?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Thu Feb 28 23:11:01 CET 2002

Hi,

> > I don't know about radeon, but mga_vid uses 4 buffers queued, and the
> > card switches to the next at each vsync automagically, without blocking
> > mplayer process.
>
> Nice!  Vsync, asynchronously to Mplayer!  If this is mga_vid's
> technology, then this should be in vidix too, no?

probably. vidix "port" of mga_vid module was not made by me, and
when i tried to fix a bug in it i'ev found teh whole vidix stuff a
big messy, to many structures nested while they are very redundant
and thei miss some really required field or flags.. so it is far from
my imagination about a good lowlevel video overlay interface.
anyway it seems to be a good thing, at least mach64 drivver works
very well...  one day if i got enough spare time i'll may rewrite the
vidix mga_vid driver.
back to the question: i don't know. vidix mga_vid was made from kernel
module, but many things commented out... so dunno.

the only think i know 100% sure: the mga Xv driver doesn't use this
feature, it switch buffers when user calls XvPutImage, doesn't wait
for vsync, so it can't make more than unsynced double buffering.

> > This tech. is called triple/quad buffering.
> > The sit-and-wait method is the double buffering.
>
> I see.  What happens if I use "-double" with mga_vid/vidix?  Does that
> override the "triple/quad buffering" (asynchronous) vsync with
> (synchronous) double buffering?
dunno. for -vo mga/xmga it won't do anything.

for your prev mail: i think radeon is superior to matrox cards.
it seems it has better (i mean easier to enable+use under linux)
tvout, and supports much more color spaces and it has some hw
deinterlacer and even hw DCT/MC (not yet supported under linux).
so, it seems to be better (more features) card, but i don't know
about quality.. people still say: matrox has the best image quality
out there.
but i've never used/tested radeon cards, so i only know what others
and RTFM :) told me.
anyway i'm surprised how many good features the old ati mach64 has...

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team