[MPlayer-users] MPlayer support of bi-processors systems

daniel carter hedonist at win.co.nz
Tue Feb 26 01:35:01 CET 2002

Stephane SOPPERA wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>Hi!
>
>I'm wondering if MPlayer should be faster on a bi-processor system or
>not? Will it use the two processors or only one?

It depends on the video output driver you use.

Unfortuantly mplayer itself is an old style single threaded app.  It
will only run on one machine,  so you wont get anything like audio and
demuxer threads running on one cpu and video on the other.

But if you use a video driver (like x11) where another process has to do
some work (like the XServer) then that other process gets to run on the
2nd idle CPU.