[MPlayer-users] MPlayer support of bi-processors systems

Sigurd Urdahl sigurdur at linpro.no
Tue Feb 26 00:05:01 CET 2002

Mike Melanson <melanson at pcisys.net> writes:

> On 25 Feb 2002, Stephane SOPPERA wrote:
>
> > I'm wondering if MPlayer should be faster on a bi-processor system or
> > not? Will it use the two processors or only one?
>
> 	If I were to guess, I would say that MPlayer would not take
> advantage of 2 processors since it's a singly-threaded program (last I
> heard).

There is one advantage of having two CPUs even though mplayer is
single-threaded and only use one of them. Everything else is able to
run on the other CPU, so you get more or less a situation were mplayer
have one CPU for it self (as long as mplayer is behind more than half
of the total CPU-usage). (this of course isn't totally correct, but it
more or less covers how things will be)

-sig

Sigurd Urdahl                           sigurdur at linpro.no
Systemkonsulent | Systems consultant