[MPlayer-users] Which card should I buy for TV-out?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Feb 19 14:36:01 CET 2002

Hi,

> > > Everybody talks about g400. I got a g450, I have tried to browse the
> > > mailinglist-archive but there it seems like this card is not supported
> > > by mga_vid, is that true? The manual section which describes mga_vid
> > > says:
> > > "This section is about the Matrox G200/G400/G450/G550 BES (Back-End
> > > Scaler) support, the mga_vid kernel driver."
> > >
> > > I'm confused. I haven't tried it yet and would just like to ask before i
> > > build a box for testing it.
> > G450 + mga_vid works just fine.
> >
> Do G450 + mga_vid work just fine as TVout? I managed yesterday to play a

NO.
It was explained thousand times here, on the mplayer-matrox list, and in the
docs: mga_vid supports all matrox Gxxx cards, but ONLY G400 DH has TV-out
support under linux. tv-out and mga_vid are different, unrelated things.
(g450/g550 has different TVout chip, and there is no driver exists for that
under linux)

> Here at my work we got a G400 dualhead, I will try that when I get home,
> if it works I will simply exchange it with my G450.
g400 should work, but RTFM. not easy to setup.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team