[MPlayer-users] Which card should I buy for TV-out?

daniel carter hedonist at win.co.nz
Tue Feb 19 13:25:06 CET 2002

Szabolcs Berecz wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, daniel carter wrote:
>
>>Yup, a cheap Geforce2-MX would be a great choice.
>>

>So, what should I buy, a second-hand GeForce2-MX, or a
>second-hand g400? I prefer g400, because it has framebuffer support
>in the linux kernel, and I think it must have better picture quality.
>On the other hand, the GeForce2-MX is faster. hmm.

I've never used a g400, so i can't compare the quality.  But i've got no
complaints about the quality of my gf2-mx-400.

The geforce has framebuffer support too.  I was just watching TV on the
framebuffer using "fbtv" from the xawtv package.

3D on the GeForce is great, but i rarely use it, i bought this card for
the TV-Out.

I think you'll be safe with either option.  I'd say NVIDIA if you want
good support under X, and the g400 if you want to use that mga_vid thing.