[MPlayer-users] DVD playing

Samuel Maftoul maftoul at esrf.fr
Wed Feb 13 20:25:02 CET 2002

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:40:54PM +0100, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 01:16:06PM +0100, Samuel Maftoul wrote:
> > I have a friend at work who codes one of the best program under windows
> > to rip DVDs and now play them ( It's called dvdx and is a real concurent
> > to flask ) and this friend told me that there are no good open mpeg2
> > decoder neither under windows nor linux because It's reversed engineered
> > and so you have no specs ... Is this right ?
> > He says his soft which is a pretty nice one , which he thinks somewhat
> > powerfull, eats 2 times CPU more than power-dvd and that just because
> > his assembly optimized routines are not the best ones ( according to him
> > ). Is this really right ?
>
> Who knows ... Ask your friend to give us his sources and we'll check it ;-)
He gives it ! it's GPL under windows and I think it's a pretty good soft
.
According to him and his benchmarks his more powerfull than flask, and
he have lot of options in his soft.
Intel gave him a P4 so he can code sse2 ( maybe interesting for you )
And the company which make nero burning rom ( Sucks TM :) ) wanted to
employ him ...
It's all available here :
http://www2.labdv.com/dvdx/

I already talked him a lot about mplayer and he looked some code of it.
He might be interested in discussion with you but he is quite busy .
        Sam