[MPlayer-users] Resizing annoyance...

Markus Schneider schneid at cs.uni-bonn.de
Tue Feb 12 23:43:02 CET 2002

Hi there,

I'm wondering if someone has found a more convenient way to cope with this:

    * my X-Server usually runs at 1024x768
    * my TV-Out (Geforce, Brooktree 869) does resolutions up to 800x600
    * usually I switch to TV using the fine nvtv tool from Dirk
      Thierbach (http://sourceforge.net/projects/nv-tv-out/) and resize
      mplayer's window to fit exactly the TV screen
    * the thing that annoys me: if I try to watch some video that is not
      4:3 in ratio, than I have to use the fullscreen mode; pretty much
      ok, but as X still uses a virtual resolution of 1024x768, there's
      only a fragment of the video to be seen
    * => this means: I kill X, I copy a prepared XF86Config (that only
      defines resolutions up to 800x600) to /etc/X11/, I login again,
      start mplayer,..

I did some research on the problem with the virtual resolution, but it
seems to me that once you start X you always have the virtual resolution
set to the highest one available...

Any ideas? RTFM?

Regards,
Markus