[MPlayer-users] vesa:vidix on my radeon is freezing my system quite frequently

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Sat Feb 9 20:17:02 CET 2002

Hello, Brian!

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 13:37:56 -0500 you wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 09, 2002 at 05:15:56PM +0300, Nick Kurshev wrote:
> > Hello, Brian!
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> > On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 06:41:30 -0500 you wrote:
> >
> > BJM> binutils version:
> > BJM> GNU assembler 2.11.92.0.12 20011121
> > Try downgrade ld and binutils to 2.11
>
> OK.  I will try that.
>
> > mplayer -v -v -v -ao alsa5 -vo vesa:vidix -double filename >mlog
> > and send me end of your log.
>
> I will do that too the next time it happens.
>
> > If this problem occures randomly then try as experiment --disable-sse in confiure.
>
> I will try that too.
>
> > If you meet such problem with -vo vesa only therefore radeon_vid.so has no problem
> > (I mean if -vo xvidix or -vo fbdev:vidix works fine for you)
>
> Framebuffer does not work on my machine.  The Radeon framebuffer
> driver hangs my box.  Remember, I have the PCI Radeon and I wrote
> to the list regarding how XFree86 hangs my box until I removed the
> "AGP" stuff from XF86Config-4?

radeonfb doesn't touch AGP_CNTL register!
> > Did you meet this problem before in mplayer-0.60?
>
> I have not had the problem until recently, and even now it's so
> random, I don't know for sure when it started.
>
> > It seems as some strange memopy leak.
>
> How come you think so?  I can help track it down if you tell me why
> you think it is a memory leak.
Because it's cause for freezing computer.

> > Try the latest 2.4.18-pre.9 kernel.
>
> I will try that if all else fails.
>
> > How long sound plays for you after freezing video playback?
>
> After the whole OS freezes, less than a second of sound plays over and
> over again.
>
> > Is it comparable with audio cache size?
>
> I dunno.  How do I determine the audio cache size?
You should play .mp3 in XMMS. Then try change equalizer
and determine which time will be spend for real changing sound.
I asked: when video is frozen - does mplayer work? (according to audio playback)
or it's just audio cache?

> > Also try -vc ffmpeg12 insted of libmpeg2.
>
> I will try that too.  Generally speaking, which is the better lib?
Which works ;)