[MPlayer-users] Encoding very large files

Clemens Wächter clemenswaechter at web.de
Mon Dec 23 21:32:02 CET 2002

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:23:08 +0000
Stephen Mollett <molletts at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to encode a 6.5GB raw RGB video clip to mpeg4 using mencoder. I
> can't persuade my postprocessing program to generate a 6.5GB OpenDML AVI
> under Wine (and I don't know whether even that would work if I could create
> one), so I've got four <2GB AVI segments to enocde into a single file.
>
> I've tried catting the files together then using -forceidx to reindex them,
> but mencoder just stops at 4.0GB. I've also tried merging them with avimerge
> (from transcode) but that also stops at 4.0GB. (Because of the 4GB limitation
> on the traditional AVI specification.) Piping them into mencoder with 'cat
> file??.avi | mencoder ... -' doesn't work, either - it just encodes the first
> segment.
>
> Is there any way at all to encode multiple segments into a single file using
> mencoder? Or do I have to borrow a copy of Windoze from somebody and use
> that? (Very embarrassing for somebody who always advises people to get rid of
> Windoze and upgrade to Linux...)

Hi,

I had exactly the same problem and it was discussed on this list, too. Just a
few days ago. So  please search the mailing list archives, too.

The Problem is that mplayer/mencoder don't support OpenDML yet and A'rpi says
that they are ugly hacks. So it isn't supported yet and I haven't found a
workaround (using mencoder, that is) (seems that there are no known
workarounds).

Regards
Clemens