[MPlayer-users] Encoding very large files

Stephen Mollett molletts at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 23 17:24:02 CET 2002

Hi,

I'm trying to encode a 6.5GB raw RGB video clip to mpeg4 using mencoder. I
can't persuade my postprocessing program to generate a 6.5GB OpenDML AVI
under Wine (and I don't know whether even that would work if I could create
one), so I've got four <2GB AVI segments to enocde into a single file.

I've tried catting the files together then using -forceidx to reindex them,
but mencoder just stops at 4.0GB. I've also tried merging them with avimerge
(from transcode) but that also stops at 4.0GB. (Because of the 4GB limitation
on the traditional AVI specification.) Piping them into mencoder with 'cat
file??.avi | mencoder ... -' doesn't work, either - it just encodes the first
segment.

Is there any way at all to encode multiple segments into a single file using
mencoder? Or do I have to borrow a copy of Windoze from somebody and use
that? (Very embarrassing for somebody who always advises people to get rid of
Windoze and upgrade to Linux...)

Thanks

Stephen