[MPlayer-users] gmplayer won't let me select /dev/dsp0.1 for output

Peter da Silva peter at abbnm.com
Tue Dec 17 17:02:02 CET 2002

OS: FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE.
pcm0: <VIA VT8233A> port 0xe400-0xe4ff irq 3 at device 17.5 on pci0

FreeBSD doesn't automatically allow shared access to /dev/dsp unless
you're using devfs, so I have 4 virtual channels assigned at dsp0.0
through dsp0.3. When I set the output device in gmplayer to dsp0.1
(leaving dsp0.0 which is where /dev/dsp is symlinked) free for random
adhoc apps) it keeps changing it back to /dev/dsp.

This is, of course, neither expected behaviour nor desirable. :)