[MPlayer-users] Installing Mplayer

Remco B. Brink remco at rc6.org
Tue Dec 17 15:40:02 CET 2002

Mike Myers <mike.myers at cesmail.net> writes:

> I ran the commands "./configure" (with appropriate parameters since users do
> not have write access to /usr/lib/win32),

Users don't *need* write access to /usr/lib/win32. What extra
parameters do you pass to "./configure" and why do you as a normal
user need write access there?

>  "make", and "make install"

"./configure" and "make" can be run as a normal user, but are you sure
you are running "make install" as root?

> and everything went great up until the install, where it told me
> "ldconfig: Command not found".

As a normal user I don't have access to ldconfig:
  remco at remco:~$ which ldconfig

Using "su -" I see ldconfig like I should:
  remco at remco:~$ su -
  Password:
  remco:~# which ldconfig
  /sbin/ldconfig

Using normal "su" also works like a charm:
  remco at remco:~$ su
  Password:
  remco:/home/remco# which ldconfig
  /sbin/ldconfig

> Is there something I can add to the makefile to get the install
> working under a non-root user?

As a normal user you can just skip the "make install" part and run
mplayer from the directory where you compiled it.

-rbb

--
   Remco B. Brink -- Information Systems Developer, Opera Software ASA
Personal site at http://rc6.org - PGP/GnuPG key at http://rc6.org/rbb.pgp

"In cyberspace, *everyone* can hear you scream."