[MPlayer-users] Streaming with mplayer

Michael Flohr flohr at itp.uni-hannover.de
Tue Dec 10 14:01:03 CET 2002

Hi all,

mplayer is just great! It seems to play everything I have
on hard disk, CD, or DVD. But I have a problem when
streaming things from the Web. Whenever I try to do
this, CPU usage goes up to 100% and mplayer attempts
to fill an 8MB cache first. I don't mind the cache, but why
this incredible CPU load? My internet connection is
usually slow, so filling the cache takes a long time.

It sometimes crashes (cannot allocate shared memory)
with various signales in enable_cache, but that might
be unrelated. It only occurs if I try to stream within
mozilla using plugger-4.0 by sending the stuff as stdin
to mplayer.

I run SuSE 7.3 with 2.4.10-4GB kernel.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I read the documentation,
and even browsed through some part of the mailing archives
without finding much help.

Michael Flohr