[MPlayer-users] How to check why mplayer freezes the system ?

Diego Zuccato diego at otello.alma.unibo.it
Thu Dec 5 12:33:10 CET 2002

Gábor Lénárt wrote:

> Huh? It sounds strange for me ... mencoder is no more than a file to file
I know! And it's NOT suid root, too...
> converter at least from the point of view of OS ;-)) So it should not freeze
> everything. If it does it's caused eg because your CPU is overclocked, your
> CPU fan is in the "shit" life cycle or something similar. Of it can freeze
> your system, any other program can do it as well.
Well, it freezes just the laptop. The CPU is not overclocked, and as
long as I can see it doesn't overheat (at 51-52C it works normally, but
additional fan keeps it under 45, so I think it's not an
overheat-related problem). The strange thing is that when doing
disk-intensive ops, sometimes the machine hangs for 2-3 seconds (maybe
it's hdd- or reiserfs- related... never did it on the old 10GB disk with
ext2... but I never used mencoder be4 changing disk, just ftp tranfers
were around 10-11MB/s while now I can't reach continuous 7MB/s).
So I'm not complaining for mencoder!

> MPlayer is another question because not directly, but it possible to freezed
> by some other features used by MPlayer. eg: your nVidia driver is buggy ...
No nVidia. Refused to buy it even for the home machine.
> So in real the freeze caused by nVidia driver (it's not the fault of MPlayer)
> but the problem is TRIGGERED by MPlayer.
Yep. In my case it was oss-emulation layer of ALSA, and an UNCOMPRESSED
PCM stream in AVI triggered the freeze.

BYtE,
 Diego.