[MPlayer-users] How to check why mplayer freezes the system ?

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Thu Dec 5 11:51:02 CET 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 10:03:32AM +0000, Diego Zuccato wrote:
> > being turned on at boot time. Then, to unlock the keyboard hold SysRq
> > (i.e. ALT+PRINT SCREEN) and press R. This bypasses the keyboard driver,
> > unless the CPU itself is frozen dead (very rare) it should always work.
> When my setup froze, even sysrq couldn't help.
> BTW, I solved my freezing problems (wrt mplayer at least, mencoder still
> sometimes freezes.. or I'm not patient enough...) just using alsa
> 0.9.12.

Huh? It sounds strange for me ... mencoder is no more than a file to file
converter at least from the point of view of OS ;-)) So it should not freeze
everything. If it does it's caused eg because your CPU is overclocked, your
CPU fan is in the "shit" life cycle or something similar. Of it can freeze
your system, any other program can do it as well.

MPlayer is another question because not directly, but it possible to freezed
by some other features used by MPlayer. eg: your nVidia driver is buggy ...
So in real the freeze caused by nVidia driver (it's not the fault of MPlayer)
but the problem is TRIGGERED by MPlayer.

- Gábor (larta'H)