[MPlayer-users] Re: funky newbie problem

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Dec 5 09:04:02 CET 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:29:42AM -0500, Michael Waters wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 23:04 -0700, Rigel Freden wrote:
> > I have a weird problem for a dvd rip I've been trying to get encoded for a
> > long time.  There's one scene in the middle (probably under a hundred frames,
> > really) that I think needs to be encoded at a higher bitrate than the rest of
> > the movie.  I think I can get the video all together properly by seeking to
> > specific frames and then cat-ing and using the -forceidx opt (I haven't tried
> > this so I'm not sure...).  I can't think of a way to sync the audio though.
> > I'm using mencoder from the command line and the three-pass method is what
> > I'm used to, and prefer, but I'll try anything that will give me a
> > good-looking movie.
>
> If you're using lavc, checkout the vrc_override option in the manpage
> that allows for specified quality for specific frame ranges.  I haven't
> tried it yet but I've noticed lavc produces very blocky images with
> some isolated scenes... moving water, lots of movement in the whole
> frame, dissolves when the light changes a lot...

Your advice is correct, but shouldn't be needed if the rate control is
working well. Try increasing vqcomp to 0.8, increasing vratetol to
500000 or so, and possibly turning on (at least minimal) single
coefficient elimination thresholds. Also read the other threads here
about optimal encoding parameters.

Rich