[MPlayer-users] Re: funky newbie problem

Michael Waters stonin at rogers.com
Thu Dec 5 08:02:02 CET 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 23:04 -0700, Rigel Freden wrote:
> I have a weird problem for a dvd rip I've been trying to get encoded for a
> long time.  There's one scene in the middle (probably under a hundred frames,
> really) that I think needs to be encoded at a higher bitrate than the rest of
> the movie.  I think I can get the video all together properly by seeking to
> specific frames and then cat-ing and using the -forceidx opt (I haven't tried
> this so I'm not sure...).  I can't think of a way to sync the audio though.
> I'm using mencoder from the command line and the three-pass method is what
> I'm used to, and prefer, but I'll try anything that will give me a
> good-looking movie.

If you're using lavc, checkout the vrc_override option in the manpage
that allows for specified quality for specific frame ranges.  I haven't
tried it yet but I've noticed lavc produces very blocky images with
some isolated scenes... moving water, lots of movement in the whole
frame, dissolves when the light changes a lot...