[MPlayer-users] Re: Encoding quality advices

Per Wigren wigren at home.se
Wed Dec 4 15:26:01 CET 2002

Sunday 01 December 2002 19:27 skrev Yourself:
> Quoting Thilo Schulz (arny at ats.s.bawue.de) as `TS'
> Message date: 01 Dec 2002 at 17:38
>
> TS> [snip]. But what the open source community is
> TS> about, giving everybody a nice usable system that they do not need to
> learn TS> for hours how it works before they can use it, where is this
> ideal?
>
> Huge mistake... Open source is about source code available to everyone.
> Nothing more, nothing less.

Well, it more about freedom to modify, add features, redistribute, fork, use
wherever I want whenever I want, make legal copies to help my friends to
solve their problems and so on...
I don't call MS "Shared Source" Open Source, even though the source is
available...

> It has nothing to do with ease of use. Some of the best open source
> software out there are, in fact, not easy to use (but extremely efficient,
> after you know them):
>
> -> vi
> -> emacs
> -> gdb
> -> gawk
> -> sed
> -> grep
>
> i'm sure we can enlarge the list as much as we like, but the thing is
> that to my experience, open source is about quality, efficiency, and of
> course availability to everyone.
>
> I agree that mencoder is "difficult", but it is its power and
> flexibility that introduces this. and I prefer difficult and flexible to
> easy and simplistic.

No, it doesn't have to be a contradiction... Adding for example profiles or
presets doesn't change anything of it's power and flexibility... Adding a GUI
on top of it doesn't change that either...

// Wigren