[MPlayer-users] [Can't find codec for audio format 0xA!]

Roberto Togni r_togni at libero.it
Tue Dec 3 00:19:03 CET 2002

On 2002.11.27 11:38 Gregory D Hough wrote:
> DOCS/bugreports.html]
> Greetings mplayers,
[...]
> get_path('codecs.conf') -> '/home/mr6re9/.mplayer/codecs.conf'
> *** Try to upgrade /home/mr6re9/.mplayer/codecs.conf from
> etc/codecs.conf
> *** If it still does not work, read DOCS/codecs.html!
> Can't find codec for audio format 0xA!
> Audio: no sound!!!
> Freeing 0 unused audio chunks
> Video: no video!!!
> Freeing 0 unused video chunks
>
> DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x8336190
> DEMUXER: freeing sh_audio at 0x8336b48
> vo: x11 uninit called but X11 not inited..
>
> Exiting... (End of file)

Hi. I was able to reproduce it with some files form the archive.
For example, the file
"http://crncast.com/asxautomagic.asp?ArchiveDate=10-31-02" fails with
the same error as your live stream.
Looking into it with an hex editor, the codec used looks like Windows
Media Audio 9 Voice, 8kbps, 8 kHz, mono.
So the problem seems to be a codec misdetection (BTW, 0xA is an unknown
format, OKI ADPCM is 0x10), Windows media audio 9 codecs (don't know
specifically about voice) have format 0x162.
I have the same problem if i dump the stream and try to play the
resulting file from HD.

It could be a problem in the mms streaming or in the asf demuxer.
Can you try to dump a stream and play it under WMP?
Since a veeeery old versin of avifile i have on my HD seems to
recognize the codec correctly from the dumped stream, i think it's a
demuxer problem. Can someone who knows about asf have a look at it?

If you look at a working file, for example
"http://crncast.com/asxautomagic.asp?ArchiveDate=11-26-02", you'll see
that it's using ACELP.net Sipro codec.

> Thanks for any clues,
> farmer6re9