[MPlayer-users] Re: I wrote a mencoder mini-guide for DVD rippi ng

Frederic Lochon lochon at roulaise.net
Sun Aug 25 21:24:02 CEST 2002

On 25 aou, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 25, 2002 at 10:34:28AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> hmm, so i need ~0.9537mbit to store 1mbit which i downloaded
>
> You don't measure storage in bits (unless you're a stupid Nintendo PR
> person trying to make your games look big :).

you're not in good faith. that's just an example. maybe Michael should
have used "bytes", but I'm sure you would have found something to say.

I don't blame, but you should take some 'distance' to see what's the
point of such an example.

the point is, there is an ambiguity if you don't respect standards. you
have the right not to respect it, but it's been choosen because it was
needed.

in the original post, there was ambiguity, so maybe Ki or k should have
been used in the "right" way.

>> btw, how many bits per g does a 40Gb HD have which weighs 3.25Kg
>
> Who on earth would ask this question??? :)

allmost anyone who wants to know which device can be embeded in a
satellite, or someone who wants to proove its brand new device can
store more data per kg than anything.

just examples.

we'll see in a millenium (1000 years, not 1024 or 999 years)... ;)

--
L'equation de la vie est si complexe,
que croire au libre arbitre est une bonne approximation.