[MPlayer-users] Re: I wrote a mencoder mini-guide for DVD ripping

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sun Aug 25 20:57:01 CEST 2002

Hi

On Sunday 25 August 2002 19:41, D Richard Felker III wrote:
[...]
> > > Granted there is still a *little* ambiguity, but it's no big deal.
> >
> > well its a big deal, IMHO any ambiguity is, as for example 1kb could mean
> > 2
>
> I addressed that in the last paragraph of my post. There must be
> ambiguity in some things; otherwise you have to learn millions of
> different symbols.
just use 10^x and 2^x if u dont like symbols
btw kibi, mebi, gibi arent really new symbols they are just build from KIlo,
MEga, GIga + BInary, and yes they sound a bit funny, but who cares ...

> The idea is that you use the same symbol when the
> context will distinguish the exact meaning, but where there's a
sure, but it might not be obvious for everyone, (for example u say HD storage
is 1024 based while the HD manufactors seem to prefer 1000 based) another
example is the loss of NASAs mars orbiter cuz they mixed meters with feet,
see http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric/

> conceptual similarity between the two. Or at least that's what we do
> in mathematics. Some people try to add extra notation to make
> distinctions, but usually it just comes across as condescending, and I
> get the same feeling with this kibi nonsense.
>
> > btw, how many bits per g does a 40Gb HD have which weighs 3.25Kg
>
> Who on earth would ask this question??? :)
me, when i didnt sleep enough :)
the question might be interresting for stuff like notebooks which are supposed
to be not too heavy

[...]

Michael

PS: dont fear, thats my last mail to the kibi thread ;)
PS2: i dont know if it would be a good idea to actually use kibi instead of
kilo for 1024 ...