[MPlayer-users] Plugin in music playing mode?

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri gsbarbieri at yahoo.com.br
Sat Aug 17 19:31:01 CEST 2002

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 09:17:25PM -0300, Gustavo
> Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> > [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also
> read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> > Hello,
> >
> >    It's possible to create a plugin for MPlayer
> like
> > those for XMMS? If yes, there are anyone doing
> this?
> > What docs I should read to be able to create one,
> > mean, where (in MPlayer internal structure) I get
> the
> > music info (album, artist, etc) and the sound
> waves
> > (to create some effects based on it)?  -- I know
> SDL,
> > C.
> >
> >    MPlayer is the best Media Player I know, I
> think
> > the only missing part is the option to see
> something
> > in the screen.
>
> Hmmm. MPlayer is _NOT_ Media Player. MPlayer is
> Movie Player.
> It was not designed to 'play anything that moves',
> it's also an ugly hack
> to play audio-only mp3 files ... I think it's a very
> bad behaviour to try
> to make a software to play anything. Thhis is not
> spritit of UNIX neither
> of GNU. For this purpose XMMS is much better, use
> that for that purpose.
> OF COURSE you can do it what you want if you really
> think. It's another question
> that Arpi will accept you patches or not.

The point is: XMMS exists and it is good, but it
doesn't  work in framebuffer, so it isn't suitable to
a stand alone multimedia player, as many people are
doing. And even in X, I want mplayer to do something
like that.

I'm not asking for it becomes an official part of the
MPlayer, I only want to put this as a optional module,
a plug-in, so people like me who want that, get the
thing and use.

          Gustavo