[MPlayer-users] mga_vid i/o error

Brian J. Murrell 95929e0e085e6baeaec095985c2d8100 at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Apr 29 08:42:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 07:05:42AM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:

> Look, you are using a unix clone and with unix you should have basic
> knowledge of what you are doing.

Understanding devfs and what to do when something is devfs compatible
and what to do when something is not is "basic knowledge"?  I think
not.

> It isnt like Windows where you have
> a nice point and click interface that hides all the technical stuff
> but leads to a lot of misconfiguration.

That is not the point.  The point is that the moving target is not
being handled gracefully.  If mga_vid were made devfs-aware way back
when devfs was being "introduced" this would not be a problem, but
because it was not, people running devfs were creating the node
manually -- and now it's barfing on them.

> I didnt say that you have to read all the devfs docu, just read
> the basic rules about it (like creating files by hand is a no-no)

And since when has mga_vid been "devfs compatible"?  Not very long
(16th of April according to CVS).  It was not so long ago that despite
running devfs, you still had to manually create the node because
mga_vid did not do it itself because mga_vid only recently has been
made devfs-aware, so give the poor guy (and everyone else -- put it in
the MPlayer docs) a break, huh?

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell