[MPlayer-users] DGA

M. van de Sanden M.vd.Sanden at ai.rug.nl
Mon Apr 22 18:52:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, 21 Apr 2002, Sergei Klink wrote:

> Hello M.,
>
> Saturday, April 20, 2002, 4:17:23 PM, you wrote:
>
> MvdS> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
> MvdS> Hello,
>
> MvdS>  ...
>
> MvdS> Well, after this whole story. I have two points;
> MvdS> One, since the XFree86 log file states that the dga 2.0 module is beeing
> MvdS> loaded. It sound to me it should be usefull. Now, I don't exactly know
> MvdS> what dga is for (direct graphics access sounds nice).
> MvdS> Second, as I said. It made mplayer crash. Maybe dga is depricated
> MvdS> and it likely to crash. Should I file a bug report? Is it usefull to me if
> MvdS> it works?
>
> MvdS> Anyway, I like mplayer. It works very well. And it seems to get
> MvdS> better and better. Keep up the good work!
>
> MvdS> Mart
>

> I don't know if this will help you with anything, but on my
> system(athlon1200/256mb/riva128zx/8mb/Red Hat 7.1 with
> gcc-3.0.4(upgraded it a couple of days ago) dga works much better(better
> performance/quality) but I can't get it to increase contrast(or gamma,
> whatever it is called, the monitor's options and xgamma don't help me
> anyways). Xshm(-vo x11) seems to work better than with xine but still
> lower quality and speed(I have to use 16bit colour). For me these are
> the only drivers that work well. I guess if one has xv supported card
> it's better to use -vo xv. Aren't savage cards supported by
> Xvideo(with drivers from s3)?

Thanks for the answer,

There is a driver which support XVideo. But I can only use it with
accelleration disable (which also turns off XVideo) because otherwise it
causes hangs in X and eventual crashes my system..
Also, with the s3 driver the performance of mplayer isn't even close to
that of the vesa 2.0 driver (or framebuffer driver for that matter) (using
-vo x11).
I can actually use xvideo with the s3 driver, as long as I don't
use X for more then a minute or so, and do no (accelerated) scrolls at
all. And even then it crashes my sytem within a few minutes.
I've spoken to the author of the driver about this, but he says he knows
the sympthoms and that he has fixed the driver, but it still doen't work
for me.

O well.. I'll experiment a bit further with mplayer and if in the lates
CVS dga still crashes I'll submit a bug report.

Mart

--
Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding.
-- Albert Einstein