[MPlayer-users] DGA

Sergei Klink sklink at yandex.ru
Mon Apr 22 02:08:02 CEST 2002

Hello M.,

Saturday, April 20, 2002, 4:17:23 PM, you wrote:

MvdS> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
MvdS> Hello,

MvdS> I've been struggeling to get my laptop to play movies under linux. MPlayer
MvdS> does a great job on my desktop. But since my laptop has a S3 Savage/MX
MvdS> graphics card and I am - acording to the author of the driver - the only
MvdS> one who still gets these kinds of problems getting acceleration working
MvdS> with the latest driver (I still get scroll-hangs).
MvdS> I had some problems. I eventualy tried to use the linux framebuffer
MvdS> device. First direct without X-Window, which kind of worked, but without
MvdS> the software scaling (-zoom) I couldn't get fullscreen video. So I tried
MvdS> directfb. That did the trick, but the that made the video quality a bit
MvdS> grainy. So I tried running X with the fbdev driver. That gave a better
MvdS> image quality (use -vo x11). But I still had some speed issues. I
MvdS> played with some -vo setting. Directfb didn't work (that seems logical to me),
MvdS> fbdev work, but it hasn't got software scaling so that didn;t work for me.
MvdS> x11 worked ofcourse. SDL kind of worked (but slow), but I figured it used x11,
MvdS> because xv didn't work. Then I tried dga. DGA sounds very promissing only,
MvdS> it crashed mplayer. Later I tried X with the vesa driver, which works very
MvdS> well for me. It doesn;t have xv, but x11 seems to run ok. O yeah, I also
MvdS> tried gl, which seemed to start of pretty fast but later crashed giving an
MvdS> x11 BadDrawable error. Gl2 worked but was very very very very slow.

MvdS> Well, after this whole story. I have two points;
MvdS> One, since the XFree86 log file states that the dga 2.0 module is beeing
MvdS> loaded. It sound to me it should be usefull. Now, I don't exactly know
MvdS> what dga is for (direct graphics access sounds nice).
MvdS> Second, as I said. It made mplayer crash. Maybe dga is depricated
MvdS> and it likely to crash. Should I file a bug report? Is it usefull to me if
MvdS> it works?

MvdS> Anyway, I like mplayer. It works very well. And it seems to get
MvdS> better and better. Keep up the good work!

MvdS> Mart

I don't know if this will help you with anything, but on my
system(athlon1200/256mb/riva128zx/8mb/Red Hat 7.1 with
gcc-3.0.4(upgraded it a couple of days ago) dga works much better(better
performance/quality) but I can't get it to increase contrast(or gamma,
whatever it is called, the monitor's options and xgamma don't help me
anyways). Xshm(-vo x11) seems to work better than with xine but still
lower quality and speed(I have to use 16bit colour). For me these are
the only drivers that work well. I guess if one has xv supported card
it's better to use -vo xv. Aren't savage cards supported by
Xvideo(with drivers from s3)?

--
Best regards,
 Sergei                            mailto:sklink at yandex.ru

 "Windows NT has detected mouse movement, you MUST restart
 your computer before the new settings will take effect, [ OK ]"
 Windows is a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit GUI based on a 8 bit operating
 system, written for a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company which can
 not stand 1 bit of competition.