[MPlayer-users] DVD Playback problem, but fixed.

Chris Phillips chris at cakenet.dynu.com
Mon Apr 15 17:06:01 CEST 2002

> I took a search of the email collection I have for this list and I can't
> find any reference to this, so I'll detail my problem and the fix in hopes
> that it helps someone not have to ask the question.
>
> Simply, it appears that vfm=5 is not required in the ~/.mplayer/config file
> any longer to take advantage of libavcodec for playback.
>
> My problem: I had it in there, and it tries to use ffmpeg/libavcodec for
> playback of DVDs (MPEG2) which doesn't seem to work at all on my mackine.
>
> Solution: I removed the vfm=5 line from my config and it all works just fine
> now. AVIs that I was using libavcodec for (for better speed) seem to use it
> automagically now.

the docs *did* use to say that you could set vfm 5 in the config file, but
then recommended commenting out the ffmpeg dvd codec (whatever is's
called) so it will fall back on libmpeg2 instead anyway. i dunno where
that bits gone now.. it was really hadny i thought. unless this default
thing meant it was irrelevant.

chris