[MPlayer-users] 12 thoughts about MPlayer

Sun Apr 14 00:59:02 CEST 2002

Things that i have thought about for 4 months regarding mplayer:
(I use MPlayer 0.60, Linux 2.4.18)

 1:
Some PAL SVCD and PAL VCD will get wrong aspect ratio, at least in
1600x1200. I use vo=xmga. Where can I upload an example so you can
judge for yourself whats wrong?

If i play them with -x 1600 -y 950 then they will have the right aspect
ratio. I was trying to figure out exactly what was wrong but i failed.
I have no idea, some just get wrong aspect ratio. I have other videos
that have this problem so its really is a big problem. What i want is
that mplayer detects this, like i guess microsofts media player does
and use the correct aspect.

 2:
It would be good if spam like this could be disabled:
flashdance kernel: mga_vid: Saved colorkey (ON: 1  01:01:FE)
flashdance kernel: mga_vid: Restoring colorkey (ON: 1  01:01:FE

 3:
q works when the video is playing, not when its done, then only esc works.

 4:
The "close" button at the ViDEO window doesnt work at all in the GUI.

 5:
I cant get the playlist to work at all. Should it work?

 6:
[iocc at flashdance iocc]$ du .xsession-errors
98M     .xsession-errors
This is just 19 days. hmm, can the output from mplayer be disabled? -quiet
option maybe? And an option for that in the config file.

 7:
When i right-click on the video to get the menu, sometimes the menu will
get under the ViDEO window.

 8:
When i use the GUI, sometimes the video refuse to go fullscreen, when i
move around the ViDEO window little, it works.

 9:
When i pause the video, the text in the GUI will scroll very fast and will
use 100% cpu.

 A:
Like in XMMS, click in the "how long have you played now" place to show how
much time that is left would be a great feature.

 B:
Mplayer cant handle a to long PATH and that PATH is quite short i think.
I guess it like 100 chars or something like that. This was to long:
/home/iocc/temp/vcd/The.Lord.Of.The.Rings.Fellowship.Of.The.Ring.DVD.SCREENER.SVCD-TCF/The.Lord.Of.The.Rings.Fellowship.Of.The.Ring.DVD.SCREENER.SVCD-TCF.cd1.m2v

 C:
Actually i bought a G400 MAX (was quite hard to find) just to get a good
TV-out. But i havent got TV-out to work, and unfortunable my computer must
be online all the time so i cant try alot of different kernel cfgs.

I followed the Matrox-TVOUT-HOWTO-0.1.txt HOWTO on what to enable in the
kernel. The Mplayer docs doesnt say that i should enable so much that
Matrox-TVOUT-HOWTO-0.1.txt says.
Some things that Matrox-TVOUT-HOWTO-0.1.txt says that should be enabled
seems very logical to me to enable. Is someone outdated? Which has right?

However, when i run MPlayer-0.60/TVout/modules and it does
"modprobe i2c-matroxfb" first (its in my kernel as a module) and then this
happends:

kernel: matroxfb: Matrox Millennium G400 MAX (AGP) detected
kernel: matroxfb: MTRR's turned on
kernel: matroxfb: 640x480x8bpp (virtual: 640x26208)
kernel: matroxfb: framebuffer at 0xE2000000, mapped to 0xe0c41000, size
33554432
kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address
00000000
kernel:  printing eip:
kernel: <blabla, error>
kernel: Process modprobe (pid: 6855, stackpage=cc855000)
kernel: <blabla, error>

...and then i have to reboot. Im stuck here. Help!

 PS. I like Mplayer very much and really appreciate your work with Mplayer,
     i use Mplayer alot.