[MPlayer-users] Software scaling problem

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Apr 13 17:03:01 CEST 2002

On Saturday 13 April 2002 16:10, Alexey Morozov wrote:
> 2Gabu: Well, probably I didn't RTFM properly, you may not include your
> usual message header :-)
>
> Anyway, here's the problem. I have a movie that 512x384 pixels in size
> and I can play it with hardware scaling to 1024x768 just fine (I have
> GATOS drivers, properly working xv and blah-blah-blah). Well I decided
> to test the new postprocessing interface and wrote smth like this:
>
> mplayer -vop scale=1024:768 -vc ffdivx -vo xv /a/path/to/movie.avi
>
> Hmm, a problem... I see in the log smth like this:
>
> VDec: vo config request - 512 x 384, Planar YV12
> Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
> SwScale scaling 512x384 Planar YV12 to 1024x768 BGR 24-bit
>
> SwScaler: BICUBIC scaler, from Planar YV12 to BGR 24-bit using MMX2
>
> and the window appeared (512x384 px.) contains an almost total bogus
> output. (An almost: I can see a small (about 10%width) vertical line
> with correct output in the left side and the same line in the middle of
> the window). The rest of the picture contains a white (well, colored
> enough :-)) noise. Well, I guess I should pass some parameters to xv
> subsystem, right?
>
> The same test w/ -vo x11 gives much better results (the proper picture
> but CPU load is too high for my 740MHz Coppermine)
>
> BTW, is there any sense to use sw scaling while hw scaling works Ok? :-)

it's strange that it shows YV12 to BGR24 as usually xv drivers only accept YUV
images, also I doubt that you card can do XVideo for 1024xXXX video, at least
my card can do XVideo only up to 832px width.
And wtf use software upscaling with XVideo? Xvideo's hw scaling is much faster
then software scaling. Besides that bicubic is the slowest sw scaler, so if
you use swscaling use -sws 0 to select fast bilinear scaler.

--
Best Regards,
        Atmos