[Mplayer-users] performance low when using svgalib?

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Mon Sep 17 23:22:54 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > I've recognized a big performance loss when plaing DVDs with the svga output
> > without any X running. In fact the movie is playing well but sound is out of
> > sync 5-10 seconds or so (can't fix it with -/+)
>
> Maybe you could try running mplayer with the switch -abs 4096000 This way
> approximately 4MB is reserved as an audio buffer. I had the same problem
ROTFL :)

you misunderstood dox!
-abs specifies how big is the _hardware_ buffer of your audio device,
it is used to calculate audio delay. (normally this value is autodetected,
but some driver is buggy so we allow to override it)
it won't affect how big audio buffer is allocated!
btw, from libao2, -abs option isn't used at all, except for oss drivers
which has no ODELAY ioctl!

> on my alpha, but this little trick seemed to fix it.
are you sure? :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu