[Mplayer-users] performance low when using svgalib?

erwin hermans herrie at damien.kotnet.org
Mon Sep 17 22:48:24 CEST 2001

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Reinhard [iso-8859-1] Brandstädter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recognized a big performance loss when plaing DVDs with the svga output
> without any X running. In fact the movie is playing well but sound is out of
> sync 5-10 seconds or so (can't fix it with -/+)

Maybe you could try running mplayer with the switch -abs 4096000 This way
approximately 4MB is reserved as an audio buffer. I had the same problem
on my alpha, but this little trick seemed to fix it.

(mplayer works on alpha - with a little adjustment in the
configure script - uncommenting some lines and by replacing _mcpu="" with
_mcpu="-mcpu=alpha", I also had to apply the patch, located at
http://gianfranco.ulyssis.org/alpha.diff - maybe, very maybe, it is worth
looking into)