[MPlayer-users] Preserve interlacing; prevent tearing on TV-out?

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Tue Oct 30 09:29:52 CET 2001

On 29 Oct 2001, Neologism wrote:
> Okay, you've won me over.  Quality matters to me, and I value your
> opinion.  I'm going to encode in MPEG2 and order a Hollywood Plus.

BTW linux encoders for mpeg2 are sadly lacking. Fortunately there's free
'tsunami mpeg' for windoze. You can get nice results and complete control
of your interlacing with it.

> Someone released a Windows program called DivxPlus (without source,
> unfortunately) which appears to utilize the card's frame buffer in an
> undocumented way, allowing playback of any video type (not just MPEG)
> through the TV-out.  Perhaps someday someone will release a similar
> program for Linux.

Wow that is pretty amazing they've hacked undocumented feature of H+ and
make it into a generic framebuffer :O but looks like it only works with
older H+ card based on EM8220 chip and not newer EM8300...

Maybe someone can ask them to release source, or just reverse engineer
it...

> My project is simply to create a PVR/video server from scratch using
> Linux, but I think I've got a greater desire for quality than that
> presumed by the existing guides on how to do such a thing.  I'll be sure
> to document my experiences (and send them to this list) once I've
> finished so that others may benefit.

BTW this is exactly what I'm doing. :-)

Maybe Divx-mpeg4 will become something reasonable to use on the TV, but
it's not quite there yet.

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]