[MPlayer-users] vo_vesa introducing

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Oct 20 19:59:49 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > > After all - could you tell me please:
> > > Do you watch movies on your TV through vo_vesa?
> > no, as G550 simply doesn't put the image to the second head. :(
> > i have second monitor connected (at boot time too), but it's black.
> > i'll try with TV later.
> >
> It's very strange - since copying of signal on multihead videcards
> was DOCUMENTED by VBE3 specifications.
> Maybe Matrox produces BIOS'es which are not fully compatible with VBE specifications?
possible. i've heard that matrox bioses are bad quality :(

> > > What you think about performance and quality?
> > quality? it shouldn't change :)
> I guess.
>
> > i'll make performance tests, didn't really checked yet.
> > (as until today afternoon it didn't worked at all for me)
> >
> > > Some other quiestions:
> > > Where I can find sample which requires Blit/Flip function?
> > you mean flip_page() ?
> > it's called by mplayer when the frame buffer should be dislpayed.
> >
> Could you send me example please?
what example?

> > > To display OSD with vo_vesa mplayer should paint them together
> > > with picture to memory buffer. (Vo_vesa doesn't have any kind
> > > of "dest" pointers which presents in every vo_driver).
> > not neccessary memory. but it's practical for speed :)
> >
> > you should call osd renderer with framebuffer address and stride.
> >
> As I already wrote - VESA has no framebuffer address but only window for
> bank switching.
no. under DOS it works! maybe it' ssomething else or bios doesn't allow
lfb if being under linux. btw, did you ORed LFB bits in mode register
when enabled mode? if i remember well it's 0x4000

i've used lfb a lot under dos, most of program _requires_ it.
and even old shitty s3 cards, and my et6000 supported that.

band switch wa sthe method of vesa 1.x.
the most important advantage of 2.0 was LFB.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu