[MPlayer-users] wrong audio chanell and subtitles on DVD

Steve Stavropoulos steve at math.upatras.gr
Fri Oct 19 00:49:26 CEST 2001

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Arpi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it won't work.
> at least vob and mpeg is the same file format. i've seen mpeg2 files (aka
> vob) having mpeg audio sterams (counted from 0) and ac3 sterams (counted
> from 128). so, how to select between them?
>
> mplayer prints (at elast with -v) the ID of streams found, user shoudl try
> those.

 So, mplayer KNOWS the ids of the audio streams a mpeg (vob) file has. You
could calculate the aid as I described and IF there are two or more
streams that match then peak a default and print a message to the user
with the extra parameter that he needs to give in case he wants a
different stream.
 That is:
switch( typeof(file) ) {
    case MPG:
            aid += -1;
            if( !exists_audio_stream(aid) && !exists_audio_stream(aid+128) )
                    print_a_message_and_exit();
            if( exists_audio_stream(aid+128) ) {
                    if( exists_audio_stream(aid) )
                            printf("Selected AC3 stream, give option -koko for mpeg stream");
                    aid += 128;
            }
            break;
}

> maybe, for real dvd, i'll add support for specify aud by language id, like
> -alang hu, as .ifo file contains the mapping from language to aid.

 That would be nice :-)

> btw a few dvd has multiple audio sterams for the same language, one with
> film makers' comments etc. how to select those?

 if the IFO file has the info about which stream is the original sound then
you could select this by default and give an extra parameter for the others.

> > > you should once really RTFM before say docs is sux!
> > >

> >  The problem with the docs is their SIZE. They cover all the things anyone
> > would ask but it's hard to find the info you are looking for in them. I
> > have stoped reading them and just grepping when I need info. Ok, I'm not
> > allways succesfull at finding the info but don't kill me for that.
> i don't kill you (just keep on blacklist hehe:), but if you know it's your
> fault, why do you say it's our???

 Just saying that I was misguided by the man page. That resulted in the
todays (or yesterdays) manpage changes, which is a _good thing_.
 Although this thread started from me reading only the man page (and
missing the -aid (but guessing it)), I think I caused some progress in the
manpage documentation and if -aid is fixed at my tastes I will be very
happy.