[MPlayer-users] wrong audio chanell and subtitles on DVD playback

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Oct 18 10:04:01 CEST 2001

On Thursday, 18. October 2001 05:19, Steve Stavropoulos wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Felix Buenemann wrote:
> > On Thursday, 18. October 2001 03:56, Steve Stavropoulos wrote:
> > >  When I try to play a dvd whose default language is english I get some
> > > other language with mplayer. For example in Sweet November dvd I got
> > > Italics. Is there a way to tell mplayer the audio language to choose?
> >
> > RTFM (-aid)
>
>  This option IS NOT mentioned in the man page. I think it should. I
> assumed that there might be an -aid option since there is an -sid option
> and so I tried with -aid and no sound was the result. (I have posted more
> info on this)
RTFM means read the fucking manual not read the fucking manpage, the manual
contains both manpage and the html documentation.

> > >  When I try to tell mplayer to use a subtitle from the dvd it doesn't.
> > > I give for examle -sid 1 and the movie plays normally but without
> > > subtitles.
> >
> > dvd subtitles not yet supported (also RTFM)
>
>  Man page says that this is an experimental feauture. It doesn't work for
> me and I send you a bug report. Don't you like bug reports? I'm just
> trying to help you (actually myself).
form cd-dvd.html:
Q: What about subtitles? Can MPlayer decode them?
A: Yes it can (or at least it would be able to) but there is no DVD subtitle
displaying functionality inside MPlayer (DVD subs are stored as images, not
text!). However it's a planned feature (at the time of libvo2).

The only thing the manpage tells about DVD subtitles is the -sid option,
which should not be in the manpage as it's a development switch currently

(Gabucino: remove it please from the manpage until implemented).

>  Why don't you put RTFM in the lines that the mailing list software
> appends at the end of each message? Seems that RTFM is a constant answer
> and as such there is no point in giving it.
good idea, then I wouldn't have to reply to
users-that-don't-read-the-fucking-manual myself, they just would have to read
the footer of their own mails to get the idea.
--
Best Regards,
	Atmos