[MPlayer-users] Vanilla gcc-3.0.1 compile problems

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.cpes.vt.edu
Sat Oct 13 18:21:27 CEST 2001

	Hello all.  I was irritated about 1/2 hour after I first installed
RedHat 7.0 when I discovered how broken their compiler was.  From then on
(including my current RH7.1 install), I've been removing the broken gcc-2.96
and using plain-jane compiled gcc straight from gnu.org.  I also use the encap
packaging system (very nice work!), so uninstalling and reinstalling different
versions of programs is easy.

	With that being said, I've run into a problem.  When I try to compile
mplayer with gcc-3.0.1, it compiles a bunch, and then dies with this:

papenfuss at juneau ~/MPlayer-0.50> make
make -C encore
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/papenfuss/MPlayer-0.50/encore'
/usr/local/bin/gcc -c -O4 -march=i686 -mcpu=i686 -pipe -ffast-math
-fomit-frame-pointer -I. -I/usr/local/include/  -o mot_est_mb.o mot_est_mb.c
mot_est_mb.c: In function `FindSubPel':
mot_est_mb.c:843: Internal error: Segmentation fault
Please submit a full bug report,
See <URL:http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/bugs.html> for instructions.
make[1]: *** [mot_est_mb.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/papenfuss/MPlayer-0.50/encore'
make: *** [encore/libencore.a] Error 2

If I compile with gcc-2.95.3, it appears to work.  Since I've compile a bunch
of other things, however, I don't want to leave the older gcc installed, as
newly compiled things may need the newer gcc libs.

Thanks for any help,
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*