[MPlayer-users] Re: License

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Tue Oct 9 20:35:41 CEST 2001

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 06:39:24PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 06:45:59PM +0200, Gábor Lénárt wrote:
> > If you are right, ANY non-GPL program links against libc
> > would be illegal ... [OK, libc is LGPL, but mplayer does not even LINKS with
> > DLLs!!!] So MPlayer CAN BE GPL if other problems are solved.
>
> libc is LGPL, so this does not apply.

It's true as I wrote it as well :) But loading DLLs is not linking, it's
a real time operation done by mplayer. You can even think that mplayer
only open DLLs as data files, since modifying descriptor tables and other
tasks are done later (as I can remeber :).

But please if someone EXACTLY KNOW that loading a DLL run-time is against
GPL write us. Andrew, this was not that kind of mail like others for you,
it's a general topic ;-)

 --[ Gábor Lénárt ]---[ Vivendi Telecom Hungary ]---------[ lgb at lgb.hu ]--
 U have 8 bit comp or chip of them and it's unused or to be sold? Call me!
 -------[ +36 30 2270823 ]------> LGB <-----[ Linux/UNIX/8bit 4ever ]-----