[Mplayer-users] risc cpu of the ps2

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Tue Oct 2 01:05:41 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > but if its false - the ps2 has a 128 bit risc cpu
> > CPU:  128 Bit Emotion Engine TM    Taktfrequenz:  294.912 MHz
> > so i think its fast anyways...
>
> No, it's slow. R5900 @ 294mhz, it's pretty much same CPU as MIPS R4400.
> If you've ever used R4400 machine (eg some old SGI Indigo) you know it's
> slow. Maybe these machines were "fast" in 1995... :-)

yes... i've used r4400-180mhz in sgi a lot. it was comparable to my non-mmx p166.
but check what is it designed for. sgi machines had a full-featured hardware
opengl card already in '92, comparable to geforce2 or even better today cards.
(maybe not in pixelrate, but they did T&L, clipping and dithering. card of
indigo2 even did phong shading in hardware)
they did opengl (glx) code interpretion and rendering without cpu interaction.
so no fast cpu was required.

i think, the same is done in ps2: slow cpu and very powerfull 2d/3d GPU.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu