[Mplayer-users] risc cpu of the ps2

Dan Hollis goemon at anime.net
Tue Oct 2 00:41:26 CEST 2001

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Nima wrote:
> about the risc of the ps2.
> i heared that the ps2 has 4 prozessors which can be clustered.
> i think if its true the sony red hat distribution should do the clustering
> and then it is a much faster than a k6 2 at 266mhz

It's false. It has one main CPU, the other processors are not general
purpose and can't be used that way. (I wouldn't call the GPU a
"prozessor" anyways....)

> but if its false - the ps2 has a 128 bit risc cpu
> CPU:  128 Bit Emotion Engine TM    Taktfrequenz:  294.912 MHz
> so i think its fast anyways...

No, it's slow. R5900 @ 294mhz, it's pretty much same CPU as MIPS R4400.
If you've ever used R4400 machine (eg some old SGI Indigo) you know it's
slow. Maybe these machines were "fast" in 1995... :-)

-Dan
--
[-] Omae no subete no kichi wa ore no mono da. [-]