[MPlayer-users] Documentation and dumb questions

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Nov 30 20:52:23 CET 2001

Hi,

> > the other thing, if you really want the list. (it is no prob for me creating
> > it):
> > i think we should create a new list for advanced users, rather than a new
> > for newbies. why? announcing/advertising a new list takes long. all releases
> > and homepage and unoffocial homepage mirrors and unofficial forbidden binary
> > packages have the mplayer-users list subscription info for users.
> > so, newbies using release versions (don't forgat than newbies know nothing
> > about CVS) will subscribe to mplayer-users list instead of the newbie list...
> > so, the question: do you agree, and if so, what should be the name of new
> > 'experts' list?
>
> yeah, much better idea, the mailing list should not be in WWW, only in
> TFM, so it can only be known by those, who RTFM (or at least know how to
> search ;-))

done!

so, all you really advanced users, it's time to subscribe to the new list!
as soon as i see advanced subjects and topics moving there i'll unsubscribe
from here to let newbies live without RTFM :)

> the name could be mplayer-advanced at ...

list name differs a bit...
people who RTFM or know grep or htdig will easily find it.

it also needs some IQ to find out how to subscribe :)

please don't post subscribing url here!

> and I think there should also be some rule, that you have 3 abuse
> chances (mean: like writing rand 'bout compilers again ;-)) after which
> you will be banned ;-)
they will be banned at first newbie question. nonsense flames are not
allowed (like: why gcc 2.96 sucks)

> > i also think, that subscription requirement to -exterts list should be a
> > fast Q&A test already partially coded by atmos. i've collected about 20
> > questions and 3-5 possible answers for each so users can pass through such
> > test at mphq web to get the subscription accepted...
>
> yeah, that also is an option :-)

atmos?
does it already working?

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team