[MPlayer-users] in current cvs, configure wrongly detects kernel support for sse

Felix Buenemann atmosfear at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Nov 24 02:47:05 CET 2001

On Saturday, 24. November 2001 00:09, you wrote:
> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>

> I am using linux kernel 2.2.19 on a PIII.
> During configuration I get this error message:
>
> Checking for kernel support of sse ... yes
> Checking for mtrr support ... yes
> Checking for assembler (as 2.10.91) ... ok
> Checking for Linux kernel version ... 2.2.19, fail
> WARNING! If you want to run mplayer on this system, get prepared for
> problems!
> 2.2.x has a limited SSE support. Upgrade kernel or use --disable-sse
> Older kernel won't work correctly with mplayer using SSE optimization.
>
> Error: old kernel for this cpu
>
> Check configure.log if you don't understand why it failed.

actually I disagree on this with arpi, as he thinks sse should always be
disabled on 2.2.x, but I added kernel checking for this, so if sse support is
buggy it should detect and disable it, IMO configure should not die with
2.2.x kernels but only warn about possible problems. Actually until a week
ago I used 2.2.18 on my workstation and never had problems with sse!
So try removing the die "Er[...] line from configure and see if sse works.

--
Best Regards,
	Atmos