[MPlayer-users] in current cvs, configure wrongly detects kernel support for sse

Nilmoni Deb ndeb at ece.cmu.edu
Sat Nov 24 00:09:29 CET 2001

I am using linux kernel 2.2.19 on a PIII.
During configuration I get this error message:

Checking for kernel support of sse ... yes
Checking for mtrr support ... yes
Checking for assembler (as 2.10.91) ... ok
Checking for Linux kernel version ... 2.2.19, fail
WARNING! If you want to run mplayer on this system, get prepared for
problems!
2.2.x has a limited SSE support. Upgrade kernel or use --disable-sse
Older kernel won't work correctly with mplayer using SSE optimization.

Error: old kernel for this cpu

Check configure.log if you don't understand why it failed.

Its surprising that configure reports a "yes" where it detects kernel
support of sse and later on complains about kernel version.

So I ran configure with the --disable-sse option and configure ran
successfully but the following erroneous message was still there:

Checking for kernel support of sse ... yes

thanks
- Nil