[MPlayer-users] DVD + -autoq in 0.50

Arnd Marijnissen grimm at cistron.nl
Tue Nov 6 11:57:04 CET 2001

Sorry to reply to my own mails, but i thought i'd give a status report ;)

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Arnd Marijnissen wrote:

> > > Btw, while I'm wasting mailbox-space, anyway:
> > > Is there anyone who (with playing dvd's) has noticed a sort of silent
> > > "bubbling/chiming" effect ?
> > > While watching 7 years in Tibet, i noticed that the sound had a sort of
> > > low-bitrate mp3-like "bubbling" effect.. but very high pitched.
> > > It was only easily noticable during very silent scenes with violin music
> > > on the background, etc, but it was present during the whole movie.
> > is it ac3 sound? maybe a bug in the decoder.
> > recompile mplayer without mmx/etc optimizations, if it's ok then, it was bad
> > code :(  (report us, we'll fix)
> Ok, seems i have a lot of work to do, tonight. Testing CVS with/without
> mmx optimisations and i saw that mencode was released.. and i _really_
> wanna play with that too! Argle.. so much to do, so little time ;)

I recompiled a CVS-version that i retrieved from the cvs repository,
yesterday.

Compiled options (from the top of my head):

libdvdread + decss
Xvideo
SDL
DivX4linux
gtk (for --enable-new-gui)

I havent had the chance to listen to the sound, yet, but i can confirm
that the problem with -autoq and frames "flashing" that i had with the
stable 0.50 version has indeed been fixed (or rather, it works fine with
the new code ;)

> Annnyway, as far as I can make out, this fuzzy-sound problem with 7 years
> in tibet is not due to this. I restarted the player a few times and
> compared with some mp3 files, etc. I cant reproduce this particular
> "effect" with any other soundfile/player. (I might be able to test it on
> my desktop, but that means either buying a scsi u2w DVD-player or ripping
> the file from my laptop->desktop). (btw... 7 years in tibet is the only
> DVD i can currently test this with .. the only other dvd isnt meant for
> an audience looking for well-mastered soundtracks..;)
>
> I'll play with the cvs version tonight and bore you with my findings,
> tomorrow.

So far, so good. It compiled perfectly fine with the debian/rules setup
(added --enable-new-gui) and is now installed as a .deb (wonderful way of
testing different versions... _thanks_ for supplying this! ;)

Furthermore, i'm currently loving the way mencoder works :))
I'm encoding a pr0n dvd at the moment, doing the 2nd pass right now. It
seems to work pretty perfectly :)
I'd indeed also be very interesed in a -split option, aswell as the
re-scaling filter that's already planned.

For mplayer itself, it might be nice to be able to switch between aid's on
the fly using some key-combo. Just a thought... aswell as the
fullscreen-switching in the -vo Xv output plugin ;)

I hope to check the sound, tonight.

Oh yes, what are the chances of beign able to effectively use SMP support
for mencoder ? ;)
Or, maybe a MPI-like setup which takes a few frames of vob-data and sends
it to several CPU's to encode, retrieve the output and paste it together
into one output file.
This'd enable you to do use multiple CPU's on the same system (local
threads) aswell as maybe encode a full DVD in a few minutes on your
office's LAN, at night ? ;)
(I'm already toying with a script setup that basically uses SSH and
mencoder to produce .avi's of a few frames of .vob... Now just hope that i
can stick them all together nicely afterwards.., probably not. I'm
guessing there's gonna be a lot of skipping and jumping and other weird
effects ? or will it work nicely because it splits it before/after
keyframes ? ;)
Ah well.. time for more play...

--
 Justageek