[MPlayer-users] DVD + -autoq in 0.50

Arnd Marijnissen grimm at cistron.nl
Mon Nov 5 14:03:20 CET 2001

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, Arpi wrote:

> [Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html &
>  http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-2.96.html if you still have questions or problems]
>
> > title-screen, etc)... wanted to see if i could throw a little extra
> > CPU-time against it to get rid of 'em.
> they came from 4:2:0 encoding. you can't get rid ...
> (colors are coded half resolution, so at colored contours it will echo)
Hmm, okie, I'll have to live with that, then.

> > Btw, while I'm wasting mailbox-space, anyway:
> > Is there anyone who (with playing dvd's) has noticed a sort of silent
> > "bubbling/chiming" effect ?
> > While watching 7 years in Tibet, i noticed that the sound had a sort of
> > low-bitrate mp3-like "bubbling" effect.. but very high pitched.
> > It was only easily noticable during very silent scenes with violin music
> > on the background, etc, but it was present during the whole movie.
> is it ac3 sound? maybe a bug in the decoder.
> recompile mplayer without mmx/etc optimizations, if it's ok then, it was bad
> code :(  (report us, we'll fix)
Ok, seems i have a lot of work to do, tonight. Testing CVS with/without
mmx optimisations and i saw that mencode was released.. and i _really_
wanna play with that too! Argle.. so much to do, so little time ;)

> > Same question: Is this a known issue, or is this inherent to aac3 sound
> > decoding ?.. or is it my soundcard ? ;) (maestro2 builtin).
> maestro cards sux. at least their drivers...
I agree that it sucks. Every now and then, when starting an mp3-file with
xmms/mpg123 or playing (or pausing-resuming) a video-file witn mplayer, it
will corrupt the sound. The effect is that at least 1 channel sounds raspy
and corrupted (like a "fuzz" guitar-effect), or the channel doesnt even
play at all !. The next time I start the same file (or pause+play in
xmms/mplayer), it fixes the sound. In previous versions of the driver,
it was worse and the sound would at times start out fine, but end up sounding
fuzzy or loose the channel after a while.

Annnyway, as far as I can make out, this fuzzy-sound problem with 7 years
in tibet is not due to this. I restarted the player a few times and
compared with some mp3 files, etc. I cant reproduce this particular
"effect" with any other soundfile/player. (I might be able to test it on
my desktop, but that means either buying a scsi u2w DVD-player or ripping
the file from my laptop->desktop). (btw... 7 years in tibet is the only
DVD i can currently test this with .. the only other dvd isnt meant for
an audience looking for well-mastered soundtracks..;)

I'll play with the cvs version tonight and bore you with my findings,
tomorrow.

--
  A.P. Marijnissen
   Geek